Tables allow you to present sets of data in visually appealing displays to help convey detailed information.
Guidelines and Best Practices
- Organize your tables in order of importance from left to right
- Use clear and simple language
- Remove complexity where possible
- Consider breaking complex tables into smaller tables
- Avoid combining multiple types of data into a single cell
- Avoid hosting large data sets when possible
- Consider how your table displays on mobile screens
- Consider removing non-essential columns for the best user experience on mobile screens
- When possible, consider making a table the last section on a page to prevent information from being pushed down and hidden on mobile screens
- Follow best practices for Links
- Add a caption to provide broad context for users – especially those accessing the table with a screen reader.
See KU Content Accessibility’s Tables for information on making tables accessible